We preserve the past, enrich the present and enhance the future for all Stony Point residents.
Stony Point’s space for connection, creativity, and engagement.
We are committed to:
- Bridging Stony Point’s past, present and future. We recognize the immense history of Stony Point, while also embracing innovation and thoughtfully adapting the library to fit the community as it grows and changes.
- Building and maintaining connections with community members, as well as local institutions, organizations, and small businesses.
- Showing a consistently strong return on the investment Stony Point makes in Rose Memorial Library.
- Providing a welcoming space for gathering, engaging in culture and entertainment, exploring curiosity, and pursuing lifelong learning.
- Serving all members of the community with compassion, equity, kindness, and care.
The Rose Memorial Library Association was granted a provisional charter on October 21, 1949 and began serving the public on May 26, 1950. It was granted an absolute charter by the Board of Regents on behalf of the Education Department of the State of New York on December 19, 1952. The Rose Memorial Library is on the site of the William Knight house. The library was made possible by a bequest of the late Ezekial O. Rose who, during his life in Stony Point, was one of its successful business men. Ezekial O. Rose opened the first Stony Point’s first pharmacy in 1865. The entire community is indebted to him for his generosity and foresight.
The population of Stony Point at the time was 1,432 with an estimated financial support of $3,869. The estimated expenditures for 1952 were $1,533. The charter inspector noted that the income would be adequate if it were well spent. Founding trustees were J. Kenneth Townsend, Quentin E. Lyle, Ethel R. Snyder, Henry Fowler, and Irving G. Kennedy. Mrs. J. Alan McWatt was hired as the consulting director at a salary of $97 annually. (The janitor made $90 annually). Miss Codena Spalding, a local resident and trained librarian, assisted Mrs. McWatt and supervised the volunteer staff. The library was staffed by 12 well-organized and well-trained volunteer workers. The original collection contained 2,053 books. The library was open an average of 21 hours per week. It was recommended during the inspection that the library replace its 1909 Encyclopaedia Britannica with a more modern edition.
Today, the library serves a population of 15,059 residents (per 2010 Census), has a collection of over 33,000 physical materials and 267,000 electronic materials, has a staff of 12 (3 full-time employees, 9 part-time employees), circulated approximately 39,000 items in 2021, and is open 47 hours per week. We have an operating budget of about $573,000, with $525,000 coming from public tax funds.